Explorations Summer Grant Request for Proposals
Introduction and Purpose
The West Virginia Statewide Afterschool Network is accepting proposals for a Summer Explorations: Middle School and High School Afterschool Program Development Grants. The Summer Explorations grant program will provide up to 7 grants of up to $5,300 each to existing West Virginia afterschool programs to enable them to create or expand summer programs to serve middle and/or high school students beginning in June through July 2010.
By increasing the positive out-of-school time choices available to these youth, the Network hopes to enrich learning experiences, provide career awareness information, enhance cross-age mentoring of and by these students, expand community service opportunities, and increase academic assistance available to youth, particularly in counties lacking in youth education, recreation, and/or care programs. Eligible applicants include out-of-school time programs (afterschool programs based in schools, churches, or community-based organizations such as YMCA’s, YWCA’s, Boy and Girls Clubs, 4-H Programs, or other providers of school-age child care) that serve students for 16 or more weeks during the 2009-2010 school year.
Objectives of the Grant Program
Explorations grant-funded programs should be designed to meet the following objectives. Proposals should provide performance indicators stating how the effectiveness of the project will be measured against these objectives and project goals:
- Provide quality summer program activities to underserved middle school and high school youth
- Provide participating youth with enhanced learning opportunities, civic engagement experiences, academic assistance, recreation options, and career awareness
- Strengthen collaborative efforts in communities struggling with problems associated with middle school and high school students
- How to Apply and Deadlines
- The deadline for submission of proposals to WVSAN is Friday, January 29, 2010.
- Submissions should be made as Word or PDF and Excel files (.doc, .docx, .pdf, and/or .xls or .xlsx) only attached to an e-mail message addressed to Jane Hange.